Monday, October 09, 2006

Football Stuff!!!!!!!!

I play "Beat The Hosts" on HBO every week. We pick the teams we like for upcoming games and hope our record is better than the four hosts, Chris Collinsworth, Chris Carter, Dan Marino and Bob Costas.

I printed my picks and brought them home this weekend. "A" and my son, Charlie scoffed at many of my choices for the early games. I asked them to pick right then and there so that there would be no changing of horses midstream (they deny this, but we all know the deal).

I can't take credit for the teams winning any of the games, but I can take credit for picking all eight of the winning teams that played at 1pm EDT on Sunday.

I picked KC over Arizona but I got the next four wrong. Jacksonville killed my Jets and San Francisco shocked the hell out of me! I usually go with the 49-ers but I decided to go with my head instead of my heart this week - bad choice. I'm still waiting for Pittsburg to win...sigh. Let's grab the announcers mic from Jerome Bettis and put him back in the game.

My low of the day: The eagle's win over Dallas. I don't particularly care for Dallas but I HATE the eagles! The pregame show of egg throwing and jersey burning was a great reminder to me of what I don't like. (rev. steve, you're the only Philly fan I love so don't yell at me)

My highlight of the day: Immediately following the TV announcers discussion of Reggie Bush's college record for running TD's from deep in his own territory, Reggie Bush ran for one of the most beautiful touchdowns of the day. His first NFL touchdown and I got to see it! Magic!

I have Baltimore tonight and I'm sticking my fingers in my ears and ignoring all you naysayers! Gooooooo Colts...I mean Ravens! (for the youngsters: back in the day, the Colts played in Baltimore - google Johnny Unitas to see for yourselves)

EDIT: Anyone remember the L.A. Rams? (google Rosie Grier (Pam's needlepointing cousin), or Fred Dryer, Eric Dickerson or the Youngbloods)

18 comments:

Deb said...

Definition of football:

Beer & wings.


That's all I know. ;)

Lex said...

I'm a Redskins fan to the core. Followed by the Seahawks and the Falcons, in that order.

I have a hard time being a Raven's fan, even though I live closer to Baltimore than Washington. I'm working on that one.

I hate Dallas more than any team in the league, naturally. But the Eagles run a close second (they even beat out the Jets, who I despise, only because their fans are insane!!)

I'll go with the Ravens tonight too. It'll be a first step.

mikster said...

I'm not a philly fan but due to the fact that Terell Owens was the opposition it pleased me to see them win this game.

jali said...

`deb,
It's my favorite game!

lex,
So sorry your heart was broken by my Giants yesterday.

mike,
I like Terrell - he's a rebel.

jali said...

mr. fab,
I thought I was great, but then I went to HBO.com and there were 13 and 1 records this week.

Amadeo said...

Including me, my ace and Bob Costas that's 5 people that have picked the Ravens. I don't know why the rest of Americas sportscasters hate them but, Denver shall feel the D tonight.

C... said...

I remember the rams but did they not belong to a different city before L.A.

Tug said...

RAMS fan since Vince Ferragamo days. And I live an hour from Denver and HATE anything Broncos.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jali,

Football for me is wrapped up in world cup failure and self-loathing.

Just like every other English bloke.

Anonymous said...

At least you didn't age yourself by saying the "Cleveland Rams". LOL

Speaking of L.A. (L.A. Raiders jogged my memory)... I asked this trivia question last night: "Who ended up catching the Immaculate Reception?"

I heard a lot of, "dammit, it's right on the tip of my tongue"...

Anonymous said...

amadeo,
I feel sick. I can't believe what I saw. I have to admit the d on both teams is amazing. Man - effing Denver!

c,
Looks like chanakin cleared that up - I don't remember the Cleveland Rams. I'm going to google soon.

tug,
I guess you weren't out in that icy weather last night.(smile)

winters,
I'm going to try to get into 'football with no hands'. I saw "Bend it Like Beckham" and liked it.

chanakin,
It's something I should know, but don't. More google for jali today.

jali said...

re: the Cleveland Rams
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/crams/clevrams.html
First Game Played September 10, 1937
Final Game Played December 16, 1945*
Moved to Los Angeles in 1946

Just a little before my time.

jali said...

The Immaculate Reception is the nickname given to one of the most famous, controversial, and utterly bizarre plays in the history of American sports. It occurred in an AFC divisional playoff American football game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Oakland Raiders at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on December 23, 1972. NFL Films has chosen it as the greatest play of all time. It is a play on the name of the Immaculate Conception in Christianity. However, because of the controversy surrounding this play, it is sometimes referred to as the "immaculate deception" by those who believe it was actually an illegal play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_Reception

OMG - Franco Harris!!!!! I didn't remember.

Christina_the_wench said...

I met Doug France (he came and spoke at our high school longggg ago) and he played for the LA Rams.

My husband would love you, Ms. Football woman.

Mackenzie said...

I wish I liked football. It makes my eyes glaze over. I really wish it didn't.

Anonymous said...

I was upset about Eagles v. Dallas, too.

Hey, how about this for the name of a blog: Jali's Comet?

Fairmaiden327 said...

Mama, I have nothing to contribute here. All I know is they run from one end to the field to another.

The Rev said...

Face it... all you all fear us Eagles fans cause we are crazy! BOOOOO!!! HAHA!

But you liking Terrell Owens cause he's a rebel, that is wrong. F**k TO!

I still got love for ya, but that's just wrong.