Friday, January 05, 2007

More Ad Stuff and Random Stuff as Filler

There's a commercial that irks me. (Well, more than others right now) I suppose the concept isn't bad, but it just doesn't make any sense.

It's a commercial for one of the cell phone companies and it's highlighting the ease in downloading music by using their service.

In order to download, "Rocking the Casbah", one must know the name of the song.

The commercial makes an attempt at humor when immediately after downloading the song, the guy has no idea what the chorus might be. He sings, "stopping the catbox" and his doofy companion agrees. They do a hurky-jerky (to the music) walk to the car and we are to suppose to believe that they will sing "stopping the catbox" for the rest of the day.

I've sung the wrong words to many songs (one of the reasons that "shut up Jali" was a constant refrain in my circle) but I've never been unable to read the title to a song.

Another small commercial irritant: the Sonic commercial with the regular married couple again sitting in their minivan discussing the pleasures of the Sonic dining experience. The guy (representing idiocy) mentioned that his jalepeno pepper thingie is sweet and wonders if the recipe has changed. His wife (representing annoying smugness) lets it drop that he's eating a cheesecake thingie. A-Duh.

This morning the DJ on a local radio station played the complete "Rapper's Delight" (one of the first rap songs). What struck me was that each of the rappers spoke clearly, told a funny story and didn't have to brag about shooting anyone or selling cocaine. Some of todays so called rappers should stop and listen to 8 minutes of fun to a beat.

Most folks are aware that rain is Kryptonite to Atlanta traffic so I was prepared for an ugly ride in this morning. Correction: I thought I was prepared. There were at least 8 or 9 accidents on the local roadways that the radio commentators mentioned briefly and the 'snails pace" known as rush hour here was downgraded to "almost dead slugs pace". I live about 20 miles from my office. I left the house at 7 and got to my building at 8:20. The car that I kindly (BIG mistake) let into my lane left a 5 or 6 car constant gap in front of them, (so 5 or 6 cars were constantly jumping ahead) so again I screwed myself by being nice. I hope the driver had lip reading skills.

I have this image of myself that I continue to hold onto depite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. In my imaginings, I'm 5'9" so my silhouette is long and lean. The stupid elevators in my building here at work have full length mirrors so it's difficult to turn away from reality (especially when you're vain as hell) and once again I was forced to concede that I'm a little teapot... (you all sing the rest of the stupid song) in jeans (casual Friday).

Whoa - Fed Ex just delivered and I have some actual work to do - I'll come back and add some more if I'm able.

7 comments:

DirkStar said...

The rain in Ohio is causing all manner of traffic snarl. Cars are upside down and scattered all over the place.

Well said on the ads.

I've been pointing out some of the new "stupid" in these things to my wife.

Dumb must be in I guess...

Dallas DYSfunction said...

First...So sorry about not getting to meet up with you. I had some unexpected things come up--of course-- and it's never anything good. Ugh Anyway--- I agree on the ads. I despise Sonic Commercials of any type and While you were here in Dallas did you get to experience driving? I am convinced Dallas is where NASCAR was invented!

Christina_the_wench said...

I want snow. 50 degrees in January in Michigan is immensely wrong.
Be safe on the way home!

Anonymous said...

That's a major theme of advertisers: Women are smarter than men. Kids are smarter than women.

~Macarena~ said...

The song "Little Green Bag" is a gross misspelling, and the reason the lyrics don't match. As it is a song about money, the writer called it "Little Greenback." (I refuse to entertain the thought that he spelled that as two words, because that's not just wrong, but gives it an entirely different meaning.)

"Rapper's Delight"!!!!!!!! The misogyny and other bullshit are why I love rap, but won't make an effort to find some I can listen to.

I think if each driver let in one other driver, and they learned to glance at accidents rather than crawl by them, traffic would actually flow. It seems to me the jackass moves are largely because mergers panic that they won't be allowed in.

If it's any consolation, your picture makes me think of you of as at least 5'9", and tall and slim.

~Macarena~ said...

Also, "of the week" can be for just the week in question, and you can always say it's your Daily exercise routine, named for The Daily Show or what have you.

djn said...

While I'd like to feel sorry for for experiencing rain, I just can't because I still have 3 feet of snow on the ground.