Thursday, June 01, 2006

Good Times Stuff

May 17, 2006

I missed "House" last night. Man. I won't even check the "House" thread on The Straight Dope message boards since I'm sure to read that I missed a masterpiece. Why in the world would I miss the best show on TV?

I forgot it was on last night...

Instead of going straight home after work as I know I should, I decided to stop by my neighborhood spot to meet a friend at Peppers.
6791 Highway 85, Riverdale, GA30274, US
Directions From Downtown Atlanta:
Take I-75/85 South
When I-75/85 separates, Bear Left and take I-75 South to Exit #237A ("Riverdale, Hwy 85")
Stay on Hwy 85 straight approx. 5 miles (You will pass Krispy Kreme and McDonalds on right)
Look for Peppers on your right . Address 6791 on Hwy 85 - Turn RIGHT into the Peppers parking lot.
Additional Parking with Shuttle Service available.
The website doesn't advertise the fact, but Tuesday night is an additional Karaoke night for the Pepper's family. There is also a drink special on Tuesdays; a 27 ounce Margarita for $6.50 until about 9pm or so. Being a bargain hunter (and a greedy ass), I ordered a special the moment that Handsome "G" (one of the great bartenders in the Metro area) came to take my order.
I nodded to a couple of people I'd seen before and settled myself in my corner spot at the bar. A jazzy CD was playing and I was comfortable in the place I consider my "Cheers." My friend arrived and we started a pretty good conversation.
I glanced away from my companion for a moment and noticed that M.L. the serious DJ and Karaoke master of the joint had arrived and was actively recruiting singers for the evening.
$75.00 was to be given away in a drawing of all participants to the lucky 3 that were chosen. Being highly skilled at math I realized the potential prize total immediately and decided that $25.00 was positively worth an adventure.
I took my time checking first the artists, then song titles available and decided to do a song as a joke. I filled out my slip and M.L. had a good long laugh when he read my song choice, "Ode to Billy Joe". Maybe the song plays well in certain venues - a primarily African American club isn't one of them.

Part Deux a little later...

2 comments:

~Macarena~ said...

That reminds me of the SNL skit where someone sings "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue" at the Apollo.

~Macarena~ said...

If you miss House, it repeats on USA Fridays at 11:00 P.M. But it may be the week after the originak airing, which is what they do w/ L&O: CI.